#1 OFFLINE   potemkin

potemkin

Proud Member of Sony.yt Community

• User
  • 32 posts
    • Time Online: 4d 19h 11m

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:47

Hi fellows,

I read that a Russian guy made a program which is allow to use Telegram on Java phones. The application name is Stella Mobile. Here is the website:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Has anyone has experience how it works?
I already registered on Telegram and I wrote to the programer. But I am not able to log in.

#2 OFFLINE   potemkin

potemkin

• User
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 08:33

Hi fellows,

I read that a Russian guy made a program which is allow to use Telegram on Java phones. The application name is Stella Mobile. Here is the website:

Has anyone has experience how it works?
I already registered on Telegram and I wrote to the programer. But I am not able to log in.

UPDATE:

The web version of the program is works perfectly.

#3 OFFLINE   bodqhrohro

bodqhrohro

Freshly registered FAQ reader

• User
  • 9 posts
    • Time Online: 21h 17m

Posted 02 February 2023 - 00:56

<wonk_mode>
There's no such thing as "Java phones". Java ME apps run in a virtual machine isolated from the real native operating system of a phone, and builtin apps are usually not written in Java ME. A big exception, AFAIK, are Motorola EZX/MOTOMAGX-based phones, where the system GUI is written in Java, and runs atop of Linux, in a way similar to Android. And of course, Android phones are those who are much more eligible to be named "Java phones", as the userspace there is mostly run in a Java VM :P
</wonk_mode>

I wouldn't use such public proxy-based services, as they intercept account credentials and their owners may gain access to user accounts.

Instead, I run my own VPS with Prosody and telegabber (disclaimer: I am the developer ×D), and use Telegram via an XMPP client (BombusMod or Jimm Multi; there are other Java ME XMPP clients too, but they have less features). Works well on my W660i, and I take care it's usable there. The server is easy to setup, and thanks to the enthusiast who made a Docker image for telegabber, it's now even easier. A 2 EUR/month VPS is pretty sufficient for that (or perhaps you may find even something cheaper).

Edited by bodqhrohro, 02 February 2023 - 00:57.

#4 OFFLINE   potemkin

potemkin

• User
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 19:47

<wonk_mode>
There's no such thing as "Java phones". Java ME apps run in a virtual machine isolated from the real native operating system of a phone, and builtin apps are usually not written in Java ME. A big exception, AFAIK, are Motorola EZX/MOTOMAGX-based phones, where the system GUI is written in Java, and runs atop of Linux, in a way similar to Android. And of course, Android phones are those who are much more eligible to be named "Java phones", as the userspace there is mostly run in a Java VM :P
</wonk_mode>

I wouldn't use such public proxy-based services, as they intercept account credentials and their owners may gain access to user accounts.

Instead, I run my own VPS with Prosody and telegabber (disclaimer: I am the developer ×D), and use Telegram via an XMPP client (BombusMod or Jimm Multi; there are other Java ME XMPP clients too, but they have less features). Works well on my W660i, and I take care it's usable there. The server is easy to setup, and thanks to the enthusiast who made a Docker image for telegabber, it's now even easier. A 2 EUR/month VPS is pretty sufficient for that (or perhaps you may find even something cheaper).

Wow. It seams you are a pro :)

One last question. HAve you read that Europe will shut down 2G till 2030? Our service suppliers already shut down 3g in my country. Do you know if it is exist any solution for dummy phone owners to use their beloved phone after the 2G will shut down?

#5 OFFLINE   Jurij

Jurij

Emperror of Sony Kingdom

• Administrator
  • 12,114 posts
    • Time Online: 564d 20h 15m

Posted 02 March 2023 - 17:40

If they will switch off 2G, you will be still able to use your device except calling and texting features. But to be honest i don't think it will happen quickly, they are assuming that it will happen around 2033 year. Sony Ericsson phones will be around 30 years old devices then and i think they will be counted rather as rare precious collectables than usable devices within next 10 years period ;) Just like nobody is using NMT450i devices from the 90's today.

Serwis Sony Ericsson Online | Online Sony Ericsson Service | ?????? Sony Ericsson O?????

Xperia.jpg

Więcej informacji, Cennik | More information, Price list GG: 1793684 Skype: gen.jurij

Other services: LG, HTC, Samsung, Alcatel, Blackberry, Huawei, ZTE, Motorola, Sharp unlock and more...

#6 OFFLINE   bodqhrohro

bodqhrohro

• User
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 00:23

dummy phone owners

I put a clear distinction between dummy phones and feature phones. IMO, A100/A200-based Sony Ericsson devices generally don't fall under the former class :P only some ODM models may do, and some cheap PNX-based ones.

to use their beloved phone after the 2G will shut down?

Only hope that using low-range femtocells becomes more legal. AFAIK, after shutting down analog TV some bands became legal to use for radio enthusiasts. Apart from the legality, there are lots of solutions to run a personal base station already.

To just boot a phone and do something offline, you don't need a working SIM actually. I have lots of expired SIM and use them to boot old phones sometimes.

Some of the last models are in a better situation, as they have Wi-Fi. But I also would be concerned about shutting down the Opera Mini transcoders, which would happen eventually and render the vast majority of retro phones unusable. I recently discovered an attempt of a Siemens fan to write a replacement, but it's fairly primitive and needs improvement, it doesn't even use a full-fledged browser engine:

And in general, I totally wouldn't make such long-term forecasts. Are you sure your phone would survive until 2030? The hardware wears out gradually, especially if you use it actively, and may render unrepairable. Also, a trade war or even a full-scaled war of the West with PRC may happen, which would make obtaining new batteries and other components for retro phones highly problematic, they're not produced anywhere else.

#7 OFFLINE   potemkin

potemkin

• User
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 07:58

I put a clear distinction between dummy phones and feature phones. IMO, A100/A200-based Sony Ericsson devices generally don't fall under the former class :P only some ODM models may do, and some cheap PNX-based ones.

Only hope that using low-range femtocells becomes more legal. AFAIK, after shutting down analog TV some bands became legal to use for radio enthusiasts. Apart from the legality, there are lots of solutions to run a personal base station already.

To just boot a phone and do something offline, you don't need a working SIM actually. I have lots of expired SIM and use them to boot old phones sometimes.

Some of the last models are in a better situation, as they have Wi-Fi. But I also would be concerned about shutting down the Opera Mini transcoders, which would happen eventually and render the vast majority of retro phones unusable. I recently discovered an attempt of a Siemens fan to write a replacement, but it's fairly primitive and needs improvement, it doesn't even use a full-fledged browser engine:

And in general, I totally wouldn't make such long-term forecasts. Are you sure your phone would survive until 2030? The hardware wears out gradually, especially if you use it actively, and may render unrepairable. Also, a trade war or even a full-scaled war of the West with PRC may happen, which would make obtaining new batteries and other components for retro phones highly problematic, they're not produced anywhere else.

Thanks for your reply. I am using actively beside my smart phone. If I go somewhere and I want to listen music I am always use my ericsson.

For navigation I am using ShareNav for tracking also this device, and if I go hiking and I am taking photos I also use this one instead of the smartphone because It can fit in my pocket :D

I know it is weird , but who cares ? :)

What will happen in 2030, why do you refer to that date?

#8 OFFLINE   bodqhrohro

bodqhrohro

• User
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 08:51

Thanks for your reply. I am using actively beside my smart phone. If I go somewhere and I want to listen music I am always use my ericsson.

For navigation I am using ShareNav for tracking also this device

Wow, still discovering new software after years ×D

I use

, it has lots of backends, but only OSM one is still working. Official Google Maps are also still working mostly (public transport routing and CellID geolocation are broken already).

What will happen in 2030, why do you refer to that date?

Because you did.

But I also would be concerned about shutting down the Opera Mini transcoders

BTW, while Sony.yt was down, I discovered and tried

Works suprisingly well in NetFront. Still not a full browser engine, but it attempts to make many websites more compatible (and the same time totally corrupts some other ones, like GitHub).

#9 OFFLINE   potemkin

potemkin

• User
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 10:33

Wow, still discovering new software after years ×D

I use

, it has lots of backends, but only OSM one is still working. Official Google Maps are also still working mostly (public transport routing and CellID geolocation are broken already).

Because you did.

BTW, while Sony.yt was down, I discovered and tried

Works suprisingly well in NetFront. Still not a full browser engine, but it attempts to make many websites more compatible (and the same time totally corrupts some other ones, like GitHub).

2030: Yes, now I can see :D

Sorry if  I ask bullshit, but how the WebOne browser works on my Ericcson?

#10 OFFLINE   bodqhrohro

bodqhrohro

• User
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 10:44

but how the WebOne browser works on my Ericcson?

It's not a browser, it's a proxy. It's deployed on some server and then set up in proxy settings of an Internet profile. I needed only to specify a few lines in /etc/webone.conf.d/my.conf and it works: AuthenticateMessage, AuthenticateRealm, and a username:password pair (so no one abuses the proxy, scanners find them pretty quickly, even on non-standard ports). If you deploy it in a local network, the bot protection is not a concern, of course :) (but my model does not support Wi-Fi, so not my case).

0 user(s) are reading this topic