Today i will show you an easy way to root your Xperia smartphone based on MSM8255 and MSM8260 chipset. This tutorial will work for:
2011 smartphones: Live with Walkman WT19, Xperia active ST17, Xperia acro IS11S, Xperia arc LT15, Xperia arc S LT18, Xperia mini ST15, Xperia PLAY R800, Xperia mini pro SK17, Xperia neo MT15, Xperia neo V MT11, Xperia pro MK16, Xperia ray ST18,
2012 smartphones: Xperia S LT26i, Xperia SL LT26ii, Xperia acro S LT26W, Xperia ion LT28
running Android 2.3 Gingerbread or 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system (all compilations). It will work for devices with locked and unlocked bootloader. It will not work for MSM8260 Xperia smartphones running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean compilations like 6.2.B.0.200 or newer.
If you have supported device and want to root it, please follow next steps:
For Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread users:
1. Press menu button, go to Settings => Applications => Development => Enable USB Debugging,
2. Press menu button, go to Settings => Applications => Enable Unknown sources,
3. Press menu button, go to Settings => Sony Ericsson => Connectivity => USB Connection Mode => Choose MSC mode
For Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich users:
1. Press menu button, go to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB Debugging,
2. Press menu button, go to Settings => Security => Enable Unknown sources,
3. Press menu button, go to Settings => Xperia => Connectivity => USB Connection Mode => Choose MSC mode
4. Make sure you have turned off all Sony (SUS, PC Companion) and other third party tools (like Flashtool) disabled.
5. Download and run E-Root: eroot_v1.3.4.exe 11.14MB 543 downloads
Because program is in Chinese language only and you can't change it to English, I will show you all program windows so you can be sure, that you are doing it correctly. This is the first image you will see after running E-root v.1.3.4:
E-root.png 147.06K 35 downloads
Now you can connect usb cable to your phone. Windows will install drivers and E-root will detect your phone (in my case it is Xperia pro MK16i).
E-root2.png 112.54K 32 downloads
Important! Do not allow E-root to download anything.
6. Press green root button in right-down corner and do not touch your phone.
7. E-root is rooting your phone.
E-root3.png 118.14K 34 downloads
8. When you will see that picture:
E-root4.png 120.48K 32 downloads
Congratulations! Rooting is done and you can safely disconnect your rooted phone and enjoy it If you want to unroot your phone, just reflash it with any suitable firmware.
Original thread from xda:
Tutorial is written for Sony.yt forum. Copying text or screenshots is prohibited.